Peru – Love or Lust?

I’ve been trying to visit South America for more than a year but it just didn’t work out until now. Sometimes work took the blame, sometimes life did while at other times hesitantly I did. Though me being me had already made up my mind, I was going; how, when, I had no idea, but I was more than willing to figure it out.

‘Why Peru’ is a question I’ve asked myself repeatedly, but have had no answer. There is no doubt that Peru has unlimited things to offer from exotic beach vacations to mesmerizing trails in the Andes to the highest sand dunes in the world, but is that what I’m going for? Have I fallen in love or is this just a materialistic desire I want to fulfill? To be honest, I don’t know. But just like a lot of other things in life, I’ve decided not to question and analyse things that make me happy. Does there always have to be a reason? If so, do I always have to know?


Photo by Epicxero
 Though I’ve explored the Rocky Mountains in ample depth, from nerve wrecking hikes to watching meteoroid showers in the middle of nowhere, going down to the Andes will definitely be an interesting challenge. Not only will this be my first backpacking trip, it will also challenge me physically and give me an opportunity to identify my likes and dislikes. It’s also interesting to see how easy it becomes to mould yourself for things that the heart desires. Though I’ve always been a fan of the outdoors, working out has never been my thing and yet, somehow Peru has made me workout with a smile. I guess it’s all just a matter of perception; the positive aura of one thing can overpower the negative aura of another.

I’ve also been running into tons of people that have either been to Peru or are going in the near future. From my drumming class to new colleagues, they seem to be everywhere! Not only that, but my favourite coffee shop has lately changed its photo art section to pictures from Peru. Is it mere coincidence or meant to be? I don’t know, but it feels good what ever it might be.

Now that the adventure is less than 2 weeks away, I have to admit there is nervousness mixed in with the excitement. What if I can’t complete the trail or run into anacondas? The mind has analyzed everything and anything that could possibly go wrong yet fearing that there might be so much more that it can’t even conceive. Just the mere thoughts are terrifying, yet I don’t plan to change my mind. If I can’t complete the trail, at the least I hope to enjoy what I have accomplished with a warm cup of tea and mesmerizing scenery while if I run into anacondas, I better be the most delicious meal they have ever had!

I’m sure there will be ample things that go wrong but a journey without a challenge can’t be called an adventure can it? The serenity of the Andes and the Peruvian culture is simply irresistible to allow myself to second guess myself. And who knows, I just might be able to answer ‘Why Peru’ by the end of the trip.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Curious Lounge Copyright © 2011 Header Image by Miquitos, Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template
Related Posts with Thumbnails